Welcome to Snarkfest

Welcome to my snarky corner of the web. Join me as I discuss everything from wine to chocolate. There may be a few other topics mixed in there too. I talk a bunch about my amazing offspring, 24 and 21. I sometimes go on and on about my secret crush on the amazing Mike Rowe. I talk about things that irritate me or things that make me happy. Sometimes I just talk to hear myself talk. Feedback is always appreciated but please make sure it's respectable. No nudity or profanity. I'm the only one allowed to be profane. But any and all snark is welcome and appreciated!

Friday, August 30, 2013

A Mom's Review of the One Direction Movie

Before I talk about the review, I want to say that one of the biggest reasons I decided to do this midnight premiere thing is because I know EXACTLY how excited my girls are over this band. I was the EXACT same way when I was 15 and Duran Duran was THE BIG THING. Every generation of young girls should have their BIG THING and, IN MY OPINION, sometimes it's good to give in to your kids' wishes when you know how big an impact it will make on them, both now and in later years. They worked hard to complete the tasks they said they'd complete. They kept their end of the deal. Thinking back on my own teen years, fan-girling over my favorite band, Duran Duran, I had the opportunity to see them twice in concert and know what an amazing experience it is for a teenage girl, so I really wanted to do this for my girls, because they're like me. I knew they'd love it. And I'd rather be remembered by my girls as the mom who did special things for them instead of the mean mom who said NO all the time. (mind you, I do say NO quite a bit, but in this case, I knew how much it meant to them).When we were sitting in traffic before the Hershey Park 1D concert, I had the windows down and we were blaring the CD and Amanda told me I was 'the coolest mom ever.' Sometimes a mom needs to hear that. It's validation.

So here it is, a bright and sunny early (and I do mean freaking early) Friday morning after a late night last night. My girls and I made a deal: if they made the bus every day from the beginning of the school year, clean out (vacuumed, dusted, etc) the guest room and got both their rooms spotless, I'd take them to the midnight premiere of the One Direction: This Is Us movie. Shockingly enough, they held up their end of the bargain. Who knew?

Last night after dinner, I went upstairs (while they were still cleaning/studying/fan-girling) and took a nap in preparation for the late night I knew I'd have. I woke up at around 8:20 and just for shits and giggles, logged on to the Regal Cinema site to see what the deal was for the movie. How pleasantly surprised I was to see that the midnight premiere was NOT, in fact, at midnight, but it was at 10:00! MUCH better. I let the girls know that they had exactly ONE HOUR to finish, then we'd leave.

I had planned to bring my earplugs, fully expecting a cacophony of screaming teens, much like I experienced at the One Direction concert back in July. However, when we arrived at the theater at 9:40, the parking lot was nearly empty and the theater was dark and all I could think of was "CRAP!! What the hell???" When we walked in and presented our tickets they told us the theater was to the left. We got our popcorn and headed over the theater 2 and sat with the 9 other girls that were there to see the movie. No lie. 9 other people plus us. BONUS! No ear plugs needed. After what seemed like an endless showing of movie previews, the movie started.

It. Was. Great. It was an honest look at the onstage and behind the scenes lives that these boys live. It wasn't just a concert movie like I was expecting. The filmmaker, Morgan Spurlock, filmed the boys' lives on tour. The good and the bad. Parents sad and missing their sons. Louis paying a visit to his Nan, Harry visiting the bakery where he worked before auditioning for the X-Factor. We saw the madness of screaming fans and the truth that the boys felt about it. The insanity of being pulled at (Liam nearly lost an ear!), fawned over, screamed at and how lonely that really can be. They sit around a campfire wondering what their lives will end up like, will they do this forever? Will they settle down and get married and have a family? Will a girl want to be with them because of the person they are on the inside and not because of WHO they are on the outside.

The movie is an honest look at what it's like for them to be away from their families for extended periods of time. Zayn bought a house, his mother and sisters got the keys and moved in and called him. Mom cried about how proud of him she was, how much it meant to her that he did this for them and he was visibly moved, glad that he was able to do this for her but saddened that he wasn't there to enjoy the new place with them. It really was an intimate look at their insights, their relationship with their families and with one another.

I enjoyed the film, and I'm so glad that my girls enjoyed it as well. It was worth going to such a late movie on a school night. I'd take them again in a heartbeat because it was a great bonding experience for the 3 of us. AND their rooms are clean, which is a bonus.

Oh and 15's calling me a closet 'Directioner' because I said I liked the movie. So I told her she's a closet 'Duranie' because she liked the Duran Duran concert we attended together. Ah the joys of motherhood.


11 comments:

  1. My Daughters (10 & 6) will be happy to hear this....IF I tell them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on Dad!!!!! Take them!! You'll be their IDOL!!!

      Delete
    2. You are of course correct.

      But they gotta pay for their own popcorn! :)

      Delete
  2. My 6yo really wants to see this - how was the language? I mean, she saw Katy Perry's movie and I was fine with the exposure to a few things not quite age-appropriate, but overall just wondering your thoughts.
    Thanks!
    (and thnk goodness for 10pm "midnight" showings!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ass was the worst word used in the film and I heard it twice. Once in the middle and once at the very end. Very tame, language wise.

      Delete
  3. I am right there with you~ imagine what the moms of "Beatlers" did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 12 yr old is NOT a fan of 1D. However, we went to see Sea of Monsters last week and they had a preview for this movie. We both looked at each other and said "I want to see that." I think it will be another girl date. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wasn't it fabulous? I'd seriously go see it again...but since I know once we own it in a few months I'll be treated to it being broadcast 24/7 I think I'm good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Michelle, soon enough it'll be on a 24/7 loop at Casa Snarkfest.

      Delete
  6. I'd take my girls to see this, because they love 1D (sad that I use this?), but would it be becoming a grown man to attend the show? I think society expects we men to do manly things, like hunt with crossbows and buy My Little Pony apparel.

    Your girls do happen to have a pretty cool mama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would SO be the cool dad for taking your girls. MAJOR points.

      Delete

I do read all comments and try to respond to them. Unless you're trying to get me to visit your website: Cheap Louis Vuitton Bags. Then you can go pound sand.