Welcome to Snarkfest

Welcome to my snarky corner of the web. Join me as I discuss everything from wine to chocolate. There may be a few other topics mixed in there too. I talk a bunch about my amazing offspring, 24 and 21. I sometimes go on and on about my secret crush on the amazing Mike Rowe. I talk about things that irritate me or things that make me happy. Sometimes I just talk to hear myself talk. Feedback is always appreciated but please make sure it's respectable. No nudity or profanity. I'm the only one allowed to be profane. But any and all snark is welcome and appreciated!

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

21 More Days Until Hope Springs!!

Pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training in Florida on February 18. You may not care, but I come from a baseball loving family and we take this date very seriously. You've heard the old saying "Today is the first day of the rest of your life." Well, February 18 is the first day of the baseball season, a fresh start, a clean slate. Every team is starting anew. And we Phillies fans once again have hope. Hope that we won't stink up the joint again this season, as we have in the past few years. Hope that despite trading Jimmy Rollins to the Dodgers, we'll make it to the post-season. Hope that Chase Utley continues to come through with clutch hits at the plate and defensive plays in the infield. Hope that our pitching staff will stay healthy (for once!) and that Ryan Howard will surprise us all with a kick-ass year of hits, runs and RBIs. Hey, we can dream, can't we?

I was there in 1980 when they won the World Series. The day of the parade through the streets of Philadelphia, our 8th grade teacher, Sister Wanda snuck our whole class into the convent so that we could all watch the parade on TV. We watched Schmitty, Boone, Pete and Tugger give their speeches.

Source
I was there in 1993 with the hubby, watching them clinch the Pennant from the nosebleeds at the Vet, and we watched on TV at Charlie's Bar in Somers Point, NJ as Mitch Williams gave up the winning run to Joe Carter to lose the World Series to the Toronto Blue Jays. I've never forgiven him for that. Ask my husband, I still hate that guy. Hold a grudge much?



I was there in 2008 watching them win the World Series with my husband and my daughters and we watched the parade, just days later. I watched Jayson Werth and his Hulk Hands and listened to Chase Utley say that they were the "World Fucking Champions."

Source


Since then, they've traded Werth, and Shane Victorino (our favorite Flyin' Hawaiian) and have slowly gone downhill with each passing season. In 2013 they royally screwed Charlie Manuel by forcing him to retire soon after his 1000th career win. I'll still hold a grudge against Reuben Amaro, Jr. for that one. But whatever.

As we hit the middle of winter, there is one bright spot among the snowdrifts. Only 21 more days until pitchers and catchers report, and the whole season starts anew. And we, once again, will hope for a championship season. Go Phils!!! Make us proud, boys.

9 comments:

  1. Baseball !!!!!!!

    Teri...you might like this video about baseball.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETGHslCMByI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That warms my cold little heart, Toby, thanks!!

      Delete
    2. Willie, Mickey and The Duke say "you're welcome".

      Delete
  2. If you grew up on baseball like I did, then read Swing by Phillip Beard. I loved that book! It just spoke baseball to me with its story. Thanks for making me believe Spring will come again with the crack of the bat and ball!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were you there in 2009 when my Yankees spanked them in the World Series? Then Rollins whined like a little girl that they were still the better team?

    Don't hate me! Just goofing! :-)

    I have a feeling both our teams will stink this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, yes, Phil, I watched the whole awful, horrible season from the first pitch to the last out. I just hope my team sucks less than yours this year, my friend!

      Delete
  4. You are a girl after my husband's heart! Of course, you may want to stab HIM in the heart - he's a Yankees fan. ;) I love ya, girl - great to get to know you on a whole new level from this post. PLAY BALL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understood roughly 5% of that post. I had no idea you could speak Japanese. *impressed face*

    ReplyDelete

I do read all comments and try to respond to them. Unless you're trying to get me to visit your website: Cheap Louis Vuitton Bags. Then you can go pound sand.